· For the first time in two decades, Japan called the Kuril Islands illegally occupied by Russia
It is pointed out that the Northern Territories are “lands inherently Japanese, but now illegally occupied by Russia.”
On March 7, 2022 Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida called the southern part of the Kuril Islands as Japan’s original ancestral territories.
The Islands have been a longstanding matter of contention with Moscow which had occupied the islands after WWII and has been controlling it. [7:40am 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· The publisher of Vogue, GQ, Tatler and Glamor magazines has completely closed in Russia.
Despite the fact that we have been doing successful business in Russia for more than 20 years, the constant atrocities caused by this unprovoked war [by Russia] and the relevant censorship laws have made it impossible for us to continue our activities there,” said Roger Lynch, General Director of the company. [10:55am 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· Australia has imposed sanctions on another 147 Russian citizens over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, including Putin’s daughter and the daughter of Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Thus, the total number of Russians affected by Australian sanctions has approached 750.
According to Australian Foreign Minister Maris Payne, “Australia will continue to impose restrictive measures against those who are responsible for Russia’s aggression against Ukraine or have leverage in the country.” [11:35am 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· Swedish manufacturer ZEWA and LIBRESSE comes from Russia
The Swedish company Essity, which produces such personal care products as ZEWA and LIBRESSE, is leaving Russia due to the conditions of doing business in the aggressor country.
“In addition, work has begun to exit the Russian market. In 2021, Essity’s net sales in Russia amounted to approximately SEK 2.8 billion, which is approximately 2% of total consolidated net sales in 2021,” the report said.
ESSITY is a Swedish company working in the field of pharmaceuticals and personal hygiene and produces products under the brands LEUKOPLAST, TORK, LIBERO, ZEWA and others. The company’s shares have been traded on NASDAQ since 2017. [11:45am 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· The Finnish manufacturer of cranes and lifting equipment KONECRANES has decided not to take new orders in Russia – will reduce business in Russia gradually and in accordance with the law.
“We have decided not to take new orders from Russia. The reduction of our Russian business will be gradual and will be carried out in accordance with local laws and regulations, and the safety and well-being of our Russian employees will be a priority.
As a result of this decision, in the first quarter of 2022, Konecranes wrote off orders for 79 million euros and canceled sales to Russia for 32 million euros, as these projects were suspended.
KONECRANES has made a donation to the International Committee of the Red Cross in support of the victims and refugees of the conflict in Ukraine. Through these efforts, we want to support and show our solidarity with the people who are suffering from this humanitarian crisis, “the company added. [11:58am 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· The Belgian beer concern ANHEUSER-BUSCH INBEV will sell its stake in Russian business – in Russia the company produces beer under the brands BUD and Corona.
The company together with the Turkish Anadolu Efes owns a joint venture AB InBev Efes, where the controlling stake belongs to the Turkish side. The company has now announced the sale of its stake and is in talks with a Turkish partner to buy it.
In addition, said the world’s largest beer concern, all proceeds from the sale of Chernihiv beer in Britain, Germany, Belgium, France,
the Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Poland, Italy, Colombia and Brazil will go to support humanitarian aid – at least US$ 5 million.
In Russia, AB InBev Efes has 11 plants. In addition to the BUD brand, the company supplies beer from Klinske, Polar Bear, Corona Extra, Hougaarden, Leffe, Spaten and others. [12:07pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· SKF, Sweden’s largest bearing manufacturer, has announced its complete exit from Russia, where it has a plant.
The company will write off SEK 500 million (over US$ 50 million) in assets in the second quarter. Sales in Russia accounted for about 2% of the group’s total turnover in 2021. [12:47pm 22-4-2022 Kyiv]
· Russia’s sanctioned SOVCOMBANK will offer Eurobond holders to exchange them for Russian ones so that owners can receive payments in Russia, bypassing the international payment infrastructure.
Earlier, the bank was unable to settle for $ 1.2 billion in four Eurobonds due to sanctions. The bank said that “due to sanctions, it does not have the technical ability to use the international payment infrastructure to service Eurobonds, but will begin to repay
interest after the development of the relevant mechanism.” 1:42pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· In Russia, there were difficulties with the purchase of buttons. Due to the sanctions imposed on Russia, many garment factories have faced difficulties in purchasing accessories, including a lack of buttons. [3:23pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· The American glass manufacturer GUARDIAN INDUSTRIES, which has two plants in Russia, has announced its withdrawal from Russian assets.
Guardian Industries is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of coated glass, insulating materials and glass for the automotive industry. [4:01pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· Exports of gas from Kremlin-controlled GAZPROM to Europe could fall by about a third this year due to the war in Ukraine, competition with liquefied natural gas and plans to switch Russia to ruble payments.
A Moscow official indicated that GAZPROM’’ssupplies to Europe could be reduced by 40-45 billion cubic metres this year from about 150 billion cubic metres in 2021.
“The largest consumers of GAZPROM’s gas in Europe in 2021 were Germany, which received 45.8 billion cubic metres, Italy, which received 20.8 billion cubic metres, and Austria, which received 13.2 billion cubic metres. [4:21pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· A subsidiary of the Japanese corporation Nissan Motor “Nissan Motor Ukraine” has resumed sales and service of cars in the official dealer network.
Dealer network service centers provide all car maintenance and repair services, including warranty, and for Nissan owners who have traveled abroad in their cars purchased in the official dealer network, a European warranty is offered. [8:25pm 22-04-2022 Kyiv]
· Another mass grave was found, this is the biggest genocide since the Holocaust – the mayor of Mariupol On April 21, it became known that the satellite had recorded a large mass grave in the Russian-occupied village of Mangush, where 3 to 6,000 Mariupol residents could be buried.
And already on April 22 there was information about another such grave east of Mariupol, in the village of Vynohradne.
Thus, satellite images of Planet show that the size of the mass grave is 45 by 25 metres. At least 1,000 Mariupol residents killed by Russians may be buried here. [8:40pm 20-4-2022 Kyiv]
· Together, EU countries have blocked 35 billion euros in Russian assets – most frozen by France, which holds funds from the Central Bank of Russia.
Data were not available for several Member States, including Spain and Hungary. Of the countries for which data has been obtained the amounts frozen are:
France 23.5b euros
Belgium 10b euros
Italy 1.1b euros
Ireland 839.4mill. euros
Netherlands 515.9mill euros
Poland 34.5mill euros
Sweden 28.8mill euros